Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Unimportant Rant

Okay, this rant I'm about to go on will be completely irrelevant to your lives. Nor will it have a lovely flow or intricately woven sentences. I've recently rewatched a couple of Harry Potter movies, and I've been left feeling quite emotional, so I'm going to get this out even though it's far less important than the social issues I've written about before now. Just warning you.
So I've been trying so very hard to grasp Dumbledore's logic in sending Harry to live with the Dursleys, and I just don't get it. I mean, yeah yeah love magic Lily's blood etc. But since Petunia didn't love Harry, because only her sister did, that magic can't be nearly as strong as Lily's  magic. Could this second hand love blood stuff really have been more powerful than whatever defensive charms an Auror or a member of the Order of the Phoenix could have conjured up? Then the second reason is that Harry would have gotten a big ego if he'd grown up knowing he was famous. HOWEVER, what about Remus Lupin?
Think about it for a moment. Lupin is already a social outcast because of his status, which would have helped Harry to feel less full of himself. Plus, Lupin was best friends with James. Like, I bet when he heard that Lily was pregnant he and Sirius would talk about being "uncles." Sirius would be the cool and irresponsible one who let Harry ride on his motorcycle and Lupin would be the down-to-Earth uncle that Harry could come talk to in times of distress when he didn't feel comfortable talking to his parents. Of course, after everything fell to crap when Lily and James died and Sirius went to Azkaban, this wouldn't have been possible. But couldn't Lupin have raised his best friend's kid as his own? Even without meeting Harry until he was 13, Remus became like a father figure to the boy. This would have been so perfect!

Sure, Lupin is a werewolf, which could have offered a few safety issues, but McGonagall could have babysat Harry once a month. (Let's be real: She felt a very strong maternal protectiveness over the boy, even if she rarely directly acknowledged it. She was against the idea of Harry going with the Dursleys from the beginning, and she made it her personal mission during Harry's fifth and sixth year to help him with his career goals. But I digress.)
So that was a waste of your time. And mine. But hopefully someone out there agrees with me. Next time I blog, I'll try to get back to the pressing issues in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment